The XE-class submarines were a series of six midget submarines (HMS XE1 to XE6) that were built for the Royal Navy during 1944. They were an improved version of the X class used in the attack on the German battleship Tirpitz.
They carried a crew of four, typically a lieutenant in command, with a sub-lieutenant as deputy, an engine room artificer in charge of the mechanical side and a seaman or leading-seaman. At least one of them was qualified as a diver.
In addition to the two side charges (each of which contained two tons of amatol explosive), they carried around six 20-pound (9 kg) limpet mines which were attached to the target by the diver.
They and their depot ship HMS Bonaventure arrived at Labuan in July 1945. Four of them managed to take part in operations before the war ended. Purchase a Xe1The text above came from the XE1 article on Wikipedia, licensed under the CC-BY-SA license.
MCM are in no way affiliated or endorsed by anyone associated with this topic.